Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] filestorage - disk - could not open file device - no volume name given

2009-09-19 05:15:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] filestorage - disk - could not open file device - no volume name given
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:07:57 +0200
Radim Roska wrote:
> Hi,
>
> firstly I would like to say that I appreciate your help very much..thanks :)
Yoiu're welcome, I made this message going to the bacula-users, so we can
benefit from the experience of all of them.
( Thunderbird Reply-Button syndrome )

> And now about the configuration. Bacula manual is really great..its
> just standard hdd matter and how to manage that is not described so
> well and I have difficulties to understand how to set it up.
There's several way so it complicates a bit the comprehension.
You can use hdd like a tape ( not so much use I think )
Use disque as a repository of volumes like I use this
/media/backups/  ( the mount point for my backups storage )
After I made several sub-directories ( making them a storage device / each
having it's own type of device )
it's useful for concurency backup.

so I've got
/media/backups/FS_YEAR
/media/backups/FS_MONTH
/media/backups/FS_WEEK
/media/backups/FS_DAY

I create a pool for each type. so I've got pool_year pool_month pool_week
pool_day

> Ive set 13x25G(actually random decision:) so that it does not run out
> of space and i though it will be enough but as you showed me its
> not...is it possible to backup 180GB on 360GB hdd? I would expect it
> should be :)

> But I guess I cannot follow your example because if i understand
> correctly you have at least 4 full backups at once..
I've lot's of full backups :-))
At least one for the year, 12 months, 2 weeks, 2 days

> btw how often do you recycle your pools?
Recycle time is done like this
year = 20 years
month = 11 month 2 weeks
weeks = 4 weeks 5 days
days = 13 days

Day pool every day? Week pool
> every week and month every month? that would be probably relatively
> space efficient.

If you don't care about so much backup ( saying I don't care to retrevieve a
file deleting 3 months ago )
You could adjust the number of full to what you need.

> Now ive just removed size limit and run full backup jobs from
> start..ive purged all jobs, all volumes etc...because  i still couldnt
> start volumes working - ive enlarged maximum volumes limit and
> manually created (label) new volume..but backup didnt start nor
> continue..
I'm not sure of what's happen.
Im gonna wait what happens - it takes some time (especially
> through ssh tunnel - tls support is not in debian backport 2.4 bacula
> :/)

Perharps you should try to just save some local data, to test if all your
configuration works.

> Enjoy opensuse conference :)..and thank you for your time!
>
> Cheers,
> Radim

Nice meetings, fun time ... :-)

--