Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Request from a beginner outline of possible setup

2009-09-19 17:10:11
Subject: [Bacula-users] Request from a beginner outline of possible setup
From: Harry Putnam <reader AT newsguy DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 16:05:50 -0500
I've been using Retrospect on my windows machines to write backups to
my OpenSolaris zfs server.

It isn't really centralized since I was unwilling to plop down more
than the initial $150 or so It cost (its been some yrs and upgrades so
not really sure of what I paid originally), to buy licensenses for
more than 2 clients.

My operation is really just a home setup with 3 windows XP pro 1
laptop running Vista, 2 linux machines (1 is my main desktop) and 1
running Opensolaris as a zfs server.

So 7 machines in all.

I need a centrallized backup seup that can be run from one machine.
The Solaris server makes the most sense... and I know bacula has
been/and can be compiled on it.

I've tinkered with bacula before but never really got is going as my
main backup method.  Also its been several yrs ago now.

What I'd like to see is a brief outline describing how I might go
about setting up bacula to backup those 6 machines.  (The zfs server
has its own mirrored pool setup)

My needs put into a diagram might look like:

   mch1  mch2  mch3  mch4  mch5  mch6    OpenSol_server
    |     |     |     |     |     |          |
    |     |     |     |     |     |          |
    |     |     |     |     |     |          |
  ----------- gigabit switch/router -------------

                cable router

                   INTERNET

The only way I can do them all (all windows) with Retrospect
is to install Retro on each machine and setup that machines' backup.

That way I have 4 independent backups running and no way to control
them centrally.  Also leaves 2 linux machines that need their own
backup setup.

Can someone show an outline of what I'd need to do to get bacula
working to cover the above diagram and backup the machines to solaris
server.