Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie: Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape

2009-04-28 01:59:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie: Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 22:54:52 -0700
Steven Palm wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Kevin Keane wrote:
>
>> This depends on your situation, of course, but I found that very
>> often,
>> backing up workstations really isn't all that useful. Ideally, they
>> don't hold any data (because the data is stored on a server),
>>

> Life would be simple if everyone followed rules... ;)  I have tried
> the enforcement route for too long, but it just isn't going to happen
> so I have to resort to protecting them from themselves.

Oh, I hear you on that! I'm not familiar enough with OS X, but how about
some kind of rsync-based mechanism to back up the local content? It
could probably be a server-based script if you have a way to detect when
the laptop is connected.
> And we are primarily an OS X shop, both servers and workstations.  I
> would love to use "Mobile Home Folders", but since we allow quite a
> liberal "personal use" policy of the computers in terms of stored iTunes
> and other files, I can't be putting all of that on the server.

And you also shouldn't be responsible for backing it up... As a matter
of fact, backup issues are one of the main reasons I usually advise my
customers against a too-liberal personal-use policy, even ahead of
copyright, liability and security issues.
> So, something like BackupPC or Bacula with adequate restrictions of
> file types (mp3, aac and the like) is a nice compromise.
>
> Plus, it's amazing how often someone deletes the wrong file, or makes
> some fatal mistake and needs the version of some file from yesterday,
> so having a self-serve interface for workstations will be huge.

That's where an rsync-based solution might actually do very well. I
wrote a script the other day that creates a daily snapshot of all home
directories on a server, and keeps the last four days worth of snapshots
around. Since rsync handles hard links very nicely, four snapshots take
up hardly more space than one; each snapshot just stores the changed
files and the directory structure. Make the snapshots available as
read-only directory on the server, and voila - you've got your backup
issue solved and the self-serve interface at the same time.

My script, of course, is strictly server-based, so you would need to
make some adjustments. And in any case, I wrote it as a quick hack, you
could certainly clean it up.

Here is the script I am using. The source directory is /home/groups, the
destination directories are /home/groupshadow/1 through
/home/groupshadow/4. It is intended to be called from a cron script.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.