Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie: Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape

2009-04-28 00:18:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie: Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape
From: Steven Palm <n9yty AT n9yty DOT com>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 23:13:44 -0500
On Apr 27, 2009, at 10:32 PM, Jayson Broughton wrote:
> For those users we have actually set up external USB disks (there
> are so many
> different brands out there, but the traveldrives work great) on their
> machines.  They have to be reminded (which is a pain in the butt
> sometimes)
> to manually back up their data (backup script on their desktop) to
> the drive
> every so often.  It's not the most ideal situation, but it works
> with the
> clients that rarely come in but can't afford to lose their data.

  I actually have gone that route with the travellers, and Apple's Mac
OS X implementation they call "Time Machine" does a phenomenal job,
they don't even have to do anything besides plug the drive in.

  However, I still would like a central copy, although the USB drives
makes it less critical to worry about while they are "out and
about"...  If they don't use their supplied drive, I'm off the hook.
But that still doesn't supplant the need to have a central copy of at
least a "most recent" network backup in cases of machine/backup drive
loss, etc..

  I look forward to hearing how your testing works out!

  Steve