Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie: Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape

2009-04-28 01:45:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie: Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:40:57 +0200
Steven Palm schrieb:

> On Apr 27, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> > I'd suggest to just back up that pool with a very plain setup.
> > Accurate backups will be good, probably.
>
>   My only questions is, given it's extensive use of hardlinks to
> minimize the pool size, if there anything special needed when backing
> it up to tape to minimize storage space on tape much like is done on
> disk. I guess I need to investigate this a bit more... I guess I was
> thinking that surely someone had actually done it before and was
> hoping for a "tested" answer. But maybe not, because if someone has
> gone through the process to understand Bacula enough to use it, they
> probably don't use BackupPC any longer... :)

I'm using bacula and backuppc. I once lost the whole 4 TB backuppc
cpool due to a hardware/xfs error and way glad to have a second backup
system...

Backing up the backuppc pool with conventional means is not easy,
because of massiv amount of hard links. But you will find a lot of
information about this on the backuppc list. This is the #1 topic
there ;)

Ralf