Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie: Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape

2009-04-27 20:17:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie: Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape
From: Steven Palm <n9yty AT n9yty DOT com>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 19:12:44 -0500
On Apr 27, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Kevin Keane wrote:
> This depends on your situation, of course, but I found that very
> often,
> backing up workstations really isn't all that useful. Ideally, they
> don't hold any data (because the data is stored on a server),

Life would be simple if everyone followed rules... ;)  I have tried
the enforcement route for too long, but it just isn't going to happen
so I have to resort to protecting them from themselves.

And we are primarily an OS X shop, both servers and workstations.  I
would love to use "Mobile Home Folders", but since we allow quite a
liberal "personal use" policy of the computers in terms of stored iTunes
and other files, I can't be putting all of that on the server.

So, something like BackupPC or Bacula with adequate restrictions of
file types (mp3, aac and the like) is a nice compromise.

Plus, it's amazing how often someone deletes the wrong file, or makes
some fatal mistake and needs the version of some file from yesterday,
so having a self-serve interface for workstations will be huge.

Steve