Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] End of tape error - pbzip2

2009-03-20 03:43:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] End of tape error - pbzip2
From: Ralf Brinkmann <ralf.brinkmann AT wemhoener DOT de>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 08:38:22 +0100
John Drescher schrieb:
>>> have not seen a cpu that can do more than 20 MB/s. I know my 2.83GHz
>>> core2 quad is no way as fast as my LTO2 tape drive when it comes to
>>> compression.
>> there is a multi-threading version of bzip2 - but I have no idea whether
>> bacula will be able to handle bzip2
>>
> This is pbzip2, I use it for a custom build process with gentoo. I am
> not sure how hard it would be to add this to bacula.

Our bottleneck is the network. For that I made a test with this
compression tool while the servers where on their daily job.

It seems the multi-threading bzip2 is compressing round about 50 percent
more data at the same time than bacula shows for the average
transferrate of the uncompressed data.

But I think for a significant benchmark I have to measure the average
transferrate of the whole nightly  backup process including the
compression step.

--
Ralf Brinkmann