Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] End of tape error

2009-03-19 11:26:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] End of tape error
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Ralf Brinkmann <ralf.brinkmann AT wemhoener DOT de>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:20:04 -0400
>> have not seen a cpu that can do more than 20 MB/s. I know my 2.83GHz
>> core2 quad is no way as fast as my LTO2 tape drive when it comes to
>> compression.
>
> there is a multi-threading version of bzip2 - but I have no idea whether
> bacula will be able to handle bzip2

This is pbzip2, I use it for a custom build process with gentoo. I am
not sure how hard it would be to add this to bacula. Although I
believe one feature request may lessen the need for this if it gets
implemented. I mean multithreaded client where each thread operates on
a single file. This way you can have 4 to 6 threads on a 4 core system
and not need to do parallel compression.

I am still waiting for a completely different operating system feature
that would solve the same problem for me. This is something that I did
on windows 10 years ago. I mean have the filesystem compress the files
on the storage. Not automatic compression on every write, but I mean a
cron job that can tell the os that a file should be compressed now.
Run this compression on the storage when the server is not doing
backups. This would be totally transparent to bacula but it would
require a much beefier server.

John