Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Better way to garbage collect postgresql database

2009-03-20 02:01:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Better way to garbage collect postgresql database
From: Jesper Krogh <jesper AT krogh DOT cc>
To: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 06:30:11 +0100
Hemant Shah wrote:
> This is a database question, but I figured some of the bacula users may have
 > come across this problem so I am posting it here.
>
> Every monday I run following commands to check and garbage collect bacula
> database:
>
> dbcheck command
> vacuumdb -q -d bacula -z -f

There is absolutely no reason to "vacumm full" unless your data-size
actually are shrinking over time. (longer periods). A normal vacuum will
make it available for the next run.. you most likely are running
autovacuum anyway.

> reindexdb

Might make sense, but weekly?..  There is AFAIK a small amount of
index-bloat collecting up over time in PG. But in general just "yearly"
or "monthly" should really be sufficient.

> Usually I purge one or two backup volumes and the above commands run in less
> than 20 minutes.
>
> Before my monthly Full backup I delete large amount of data from the database
> as I
 > delete one month worth of Full and Incremental backups. When I run
the above
 > commands after the Full backup, the vacummdb command take 12 hours
 > to run. Is there a faster/better way of doing it?

No not really VACUUM FULL i telling PG to reorder the data on-disk and
free up space for the os, that is a "hard task". But it is also not
needed, since you are going to used it within the next week/month
anyway.. so ordinary VACUUM is sufficient.

> My database is about 9GB.
>
> If I backup database using pgdump and then restore it, will it do the same
 > thing as vacuumdb and reindexdb commands?

Basically yes.