Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] intermittent problems with autochanger

2009-03-19 11:36:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] intermittent problems with autochanger
From: Alan Aldrich <aaldrich AT cisdata DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:29:01 -0700
I need help reviewing my config to see if that is the problem or what
else it might be.

I have Bacula 2.2.8 installed on a Linux box CentOS 2.6.9-78.0.8.ELsmp
Disk backups work fine. No problem.
Backing up to Tape I will often have the Autochanger go 'offline'
somehow after a large backup is
finished and have to reset the scsi bus to bring it back into
operation before the next access.
The symptom when it goes offline is this.

[root@bacula] ~# mtx -f /dev/sg4
[root@bacula] ~# mtx -f /dev/sg4 status
mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=0 (Unknown?!)
mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=No Sense
mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 00
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
INQUIRY command Failed
[root@bacula] ~#

I am using an Adaptec 29160 with only the autochanger attached and it
is an ADIC FASTOR2 with
8 slots and 1 drive.

My configuration looks like this

bacula-sd.conf
Device {
   Name = FileStorage
   Media Type = File
   Archive Device = /backup/v1
   LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled
media
   Random Access = Yes;
   AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
   RemovableMedia = no;
   AlwaysOpen = yes;
}
Autochanger {
   Name = Tape
   Device = FASTOR2
   Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
   Changer Device = /dev/sg4
}

Device {
   Name = FASTOR2
   Media Type = LTO-2
   Archive Device = /dev/nst0
   Autochanger = yes;
   AutomaticMount = yes;
   AlwaysOpen = yes;
   RemovableMedia = yes;
   RandomAccess = no;

}

btape test and autochanger test work fine.
I can do backups and restores fine up to a point, but if I leave a
large backupup running and come in the next day
to look at it I get the above status and no further backups are
possible until I reset the ADIC device controller
and make the system recognize it again.

Should I go after the hardware? I have tried another adaptec
controller, another SCSI cable and terminator but I  don't
have another tape library to try.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Alan