Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula not use all bandwidth of network

2009-03-12 10:40:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula not use all bandwidth of network
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, listas.vhs AT gmail DOT com
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:28:10 -0400
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org> wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Victor Hugo dos Santos
>> <listas.vhs AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> the same problem in FULL backup.. look:
>>>
>> You are using software compression. That will drastically slow down a backup.
>
> What John said.  Turn off software compression.

I am not sure what the OP is trying to optimize here however I do have
a few ideas if I guess the problem correctly.

Assumption: Need to backup 40 desktops/servers to a disk array with
reasonable performance (want all jobs to finish over night) and want
to use software compression to get more space

What I would do is use concurrency (5 to 10 simultaneous jobs running
at the same time) and a small spool file size (2 to 5GB) and run the
jobs at night. This way the individual clients may have a low backup
rate because they are spending a lot of time compressing files or in
the case of incremental jobs they are spending a lot of time searching
for changed files. However in this case the backup server is
constantly busy writing to disk and more work is being done at one
time.

John