Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula not use all bandwidth of network

2009-03-14 02:37:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula not use all bandwidth of network
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 07:25:18 +0100
Victor Hugo dos Santos wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Thomas Glatthor
> <Thomas.Glatthor AT ic3s DOT de> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>>   Software Compression:   88.1 %
>> have you ever tried without compression?
>
> well.. is true..
> when I configure jobs to use compression, the time is very superior
> and rate (rate=time / MB, I belive) is slow. :-(
>
> before, I had configured GZIP option as 9 and:
>        time 03:55:40
>        compression 88.7 %
>        rate 1193.9 KB/s
>
> after I configure GZIP option as 7, and:
>        time 01:28:18
>        compression 87.9 %
>        rate 3531.5 KB/s
>
> unhappily, I can't configure GZIP with lower value...
> because I use HD in storages and space is very, very precious.
>
> thanks

Hi Hugo,

Well now you know about the different level about gzip keep an eyes on the
different space the resulted saves took.

For example I've some windows server which contain oracle full dump sql (2.5Gb
which use only a 256mb when compressed )
If I use gzip9 it took 9 hours to save it with a 88%, with gzip2 it took only
2hours for a 80% compressed ratio
I let you guess what solution I've choose.

In most of case a gzip level > 6 (the default) will only conduct to time
spending without a significative gain of bytes.
gzip4 is often a good compromise.

Sometime it never help. I've another server which contain mainly optimized pdf,
jpg, mpeg, odf and ogg files : On this one
even a gzip2 give me just a 2% place gain for a 400% time used ratio. So I
don't use gzip on this server.

gzip is mono-threaded and don't use the multi-core cpu arch. Don't expect super
speed result.

You should try to identify which data compress very well and which not.
Eventually split them into different fileset.

Last point : here on a customer site, the bacula server runs 8 concurrents jobs
and we have at 75% of time the network bandwith
running at it's full speed 125Mb/s (1gbp/s). So bacula can really perform at
the maximum of the hardware specs ;-)

--

     Bruno Friedmann

Ioda-Net Sàrl
  2830 Vellerat - Switzerland

  Tél : ++41 32 435 7171
  Fax : ++41 32 435 7172
  gsm : ++41 78 802 6760
  www.ioda-net.ch

 Centre de Formation et de Coaching En Ligne
 www.cfcel.com