Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up Microsoft Exchange?!

2009-02-12 11:49:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up Microsoft Exchange?!
From: "(private) HKS" <hks.private AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:47:10 -0500
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Boniforti Flavio <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I read that somebody was talking about backing up Exchange with Bacula,
> how is this being achieved?
> I'm actually running my remote backups with rsnapshot and it's a little
> bit scary to think about transfer *every* weekend some 4-6 GB
> Exchange.bkf file...
>
> Any suggestions are wellcome!
>
> Flavio Boniforti
>
> PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL
> Via Ballerini 21
> 6600 Locarno
> Switzerland
> Phone: +41 91 751 68 81
> Fax: +41 91 751 69 14
> E-mail: flavio AT piramide DOT ch

I use ClientRunBeforeJob to run a batch script before I actually grab
all my Exchange server's files. The batch script uses ntbackup to
backup Exchange to a file:
--
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bacula\bin\ntbackup.exe" backup "@C:\Documents
and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application

The backup set (.bks file) was created with the NTBackup GUI. This
will no longer work in Windows 2008 since the ntbackup utility has
been nerfed, but does the job for now. Not exactly an efficient use of
disk space, though, if that's your primary concern.

-HKS