Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Different storage ip for different clients

2008-12-15 04:21:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Different storage ip for different clients
From: Piotr Gbyliczek <pg AT forlinux.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:17:00 +0000
On Sunday 14 December 2008 04:52:50 Devin Reade wrote:
> I assume that NAT is not part of the picture?

No, there's no NAT.

> If I understand your topology correctly, it is analagous to my own
> where my SD is multi-homed to take advantage of the switched 1GB
> backbone without saturating the router that would normally join those
> segments.

There could be one difference however, we have switch in each cab, but they
not connected directly, but by another switch (?) which seems to be
intelligent enough to route to network gateway. And this is hitting counting
device

> Rather than messing around with different DNS views, I just defined
> multiple 'A' records and it works like a charm; clients that are on
> the same network as one of the SD network interfaces connect to the
> closest SD interface (ie: same network).  (I've got a packet filter
> on the router mentioned above that blocks bacula-related traffic, and
> the jobs run correctly, so I know that the traffic is getting routed
> correctly.)

I had no idea that there is such possibility, so couldn't think of that. I
will test at some point, but since views based solution works fine now after
placing BIND on not bacula related server it is not necessary.

> If you have clients that are not on the same network as one of the
> SD interfaces (or if you have clients with dumb resolvers that won't
> do result record sorting based on connected interfaces), then you may be
> able to tell your nameserver to sort the records.  (For example, see
> the 'sortlist' statement for ISC BIND 9.)

As I was not aware of possibility, I have no idea if my clients are able to
chose networkwise closest IP from given. But we have mostly CentOS 5 on
servers, so if linux can do that, then yes.
Thanks for response, it is always worth to see another view on the problem,
but seems like our solution is working as well.

--
Piotr Gbyliczek
Second Line Support