Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Different storage ip for different clients

2008-12-11 08:12:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Different storage ip for different clients
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: Piotr Gbyliczek <pg AT forlinux.co DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:10:14 +0100
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:43:47 +0000, Piotr Gbyliczek wrote:
> We have one director,
> three storages and lot of clients. Clients are in different networks, so we
> need to use different IP to connect from client to storage and different IP
> to connect from director to storage.

Why is that? In a properly routed network that should not be necessary.
Can you describe a bit more what your network structure looks like and why
it would require using different IP addresses for the same storage daemon?

> [...] there is bind with different views so it gives proper IP for
> client. It works from client when I'm pinging or digging for name, it works
> when I'm trying to run job manually, but automated jobs are often failing
> with errors [...]
> Only issue could be that
> bind server is bacula storage and director, so it may be under load at night.
> Is that possible, I mean can it be bind not responding to clients because
> storage traffic is hammering server ??

Possible. But in that case, your problem isn't caused by the different
IP addresses and would occur the same way if you always use the same IP
address for the same SD.

> If so, is there any parameter to give
> to bacula to make it wait longer for answer from DNS ??

I don't know. But even if there is, IMHO a better solution would be to
(a) put the name service on a different server or (b) install nscd (name
service caching daemon) on the clients.

HTH
T.

--