Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up a Scalix mail server

2008-11-30 07:45:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up a Scalix mail server
From: Ulrich Leodolter <ulrich.leodolter AT obvsg DOT at>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:42:49 +0100
On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 03:47 -0800, Kevin Keane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to come up with a better way to back up my Scalix mail
> server. Scalix has a couple of suggestions for backing up.
>
> Current solution:
>
> - shut down mail server (in ClientRunBeforeJob)
> - back up all files in the mail store directory
> - restart mail server (in Client Run After Job)
>
> This is easy but incurs an unacceptable mail serve downtime.
>
> Also, it only allows for a full-server restore. I would like to have a
> solution that allows restoring individual mailboxes, individual folders
> or, ideally, individual emails.
>
> A better approach would be to export all mailboxes to files (one per
> mailbox), and then back up those files - but I don't have the disk space
> to do that.
>
> So I've been thinking that creating one FIFO per mailbox might be the
> solution. I read in the documentation: "If enabled, tells the Client to
> read the data on a backup and write the data on a restore to any FIFO
> (pipe) that is explicitly mentioned in the FileSet." That seems to
> almost meet my needs - except that I don't necessarily know in advance
> how many mailboxes, and thus FIFOs, there will be.
>
> Is there another way to accomplish this?

Hi

maybe use snapshot volume (i scalix runs on linux)

ClientRunBeforeJob
        scalix stop
        create snapshot volume of your scalix filesystem volume
        scalix start
        mount snapshot readonly

Job
        Backup snapshot mount point

ClientRunAfterJob
        unmount shapshot
        remove snapshot volume

There is only a short downtime for scalix.
I'v setup this for a full linux system which includes
a 10G mysql database, but i dont shutdown or dump the
database (just flush an lock tables while snapshot is
created).  I runs without problems for weeks.

A nice FileSet option is "strippath=1",  so you
can restore the snapshot  to its original location.

Ulrich
--
Ulrich Leodolter <ulrich.leodolter AT obvsg DOT at>