Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Backing up a VMware Server on 64-bit Linux

2008-11-30 09:06:25
Subject: [Bacula-users] Backing up a VMware Server on 64-bit Linux
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:03:38 +0200
This isn't excatly a Bacula-related issue, but has anyone experiences how
consistent bacups can be achieved if I back up a linux host running a VMware
Server with some of the virtual machines "powered on"? Will the result be
something total garbage, or something that can reasonably succesfully be
restored too? Though a virtual machine would be on, there would be no
significant user activity during the backup run.

Of course, this would lead to making always full backups, since a whole
virtual machine is basically just a single file (or very few huge files).
But I wouldn't like to install a client to each of the virtual machines
separately, especially since they all won't be powered up at all the times.
This is mostly about occasionally backing up the whole set of system files
in all the virtual machines, there would be only minimal amount of any user
data, since it would be actually a workstation with 2-3 different virtual
machines with different operating systems each, and users should keep the
actual data elsewhere on a "real" server.

Then, this is more like a Bacula thing: are there any "big" issues specific
to current Bacula clients in 64-bit RHEL5/CentOS5 systems running on
an Intel CPU (Core 2 etc, but not Xeon)?
Should I use i386 client in such an environment, or x86_64 which has a
remark "AMD architecture" on Sourceforge downloads?

Regards,
Timo