Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Large maildir backup

2008-11-27 07:34:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Large maildir backup
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Boris Kunstleben onOffice Software GmbH <b.kunstleben AT onoffice DOT de>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:46:24 +0000 (GMT)
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Boris Kunstleben onOffice Software GmbH wrote:

> i am doing exactly that since last Thursday.
> I have about 1.6TB in Maildirs and an huge number of small files. I have to
> say it is awfull slow. Backing up a directory with about 190GB of Maildirs
> took "Elapsed time: 1 day 14 hours 49 mins 34 secs".
> On the other hand i have a server with Documents and images (about 700GB)
> took much less time.
> All the Servers are virtuall Enviroments (Virtuozzo).
>
> Any Idess would be appreciated.

I have filesystems here of simlar sisze with wildly varying file sizes.

The 1Tb partition (80% full) with 8000 files in it backs up quickly

The 1Tb partition (50% full) with 7 million files in it takes 5 times
longer.

There is a fixed filesystem time cost of opening each file and therefore
the smaller the file the lower the average throughput - having said that
most filesystems get SLOW when there are thousands of files in one
directory.

AB