Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] possible console interface improvement

2008-11-18 07:00:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] possible console interface improvement
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:58:43 +0100
On 17.11.2008 20:36, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> 17.11.2008 11:46, Tilman Schmidt wrote:

>> What other approach do you propose for finding the information that
>> is currently missing from the manual?
>
> It would be easiest to track the -users list and simply write a
> paragraph whenever you believe you can do so [...]

Seems like a sort of minimalist approach, but ok, let's try that.

> Furthermore, a short, perhaps not perfect
> description is often better than none at all - and it gives the
> developers something to improve when they work on the manual anyway :-)

:-) indeed.

>> I could, provided the question above can be resolved.
>> Where is the source for the manual and what is it written in?
>
> You need some knowledge of svn and LaTeX.

Ah, LaTeX. Ok, I guess I should finally start reading up on that.
It seems to crop up more and more. Even my daughter has already
asked me once if I could help her with that, and I had to answer
"no". ;-)

> Doesn't look very frightening, right?

Well, no, not frightening as such. But I guess there's a bit more
to it, such as conventions on formatting, what to index, etc.
We'll see.

> After changing things, you create a diff like this:
[...]
> and send the resulting output (preferrably captured in a file) to the
> -docs mailing list.

Which I guess I'm supposed to subscribe to if I'm serious about
helping with this.

> If you really get into it, I'm sure Kern will grant you rights to
> directly upload your changes to the repository.

Oh, I don't think that'll be necessary. I'm quite happy with
sending patches and letting others merge them. :-)

Thanks,
Tilman

--
Tilman Schmidt