Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Fwd: 64bit for File.FileId

2008-11-07 10:02:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Fwd: 64bit for File.FileId
From: James Cort <james.cort AT u4eatech DOT com>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 14:58:58 +0000
I had hoped to avoid upgrading to 2.4 because I've got a lot of FDs
using much older versions of baculabut if I must I must....

> PS: I would be interested to hear about your setup since you seem to have
> quite big backup needs.

About 20 servers, several million files and around 8-900GB per night.
The big killer is the mail server which is courier-imap with a maildir
backend - every email is a file and they get fairly unique names.

I think I've hit this problem not because of the size of the database
but because of how Postgres works - serial numbers aren't reused and
looking at the postgres dump, a dump/reload probably doesn't regenerate
them from zero.  Well, I doubt it will because the serial numbers are
present in the SQL dump.  The table itself doesn't have anything like
2^31 entries:

bacula=# select count(fileid) from file;
   count
-----------
 174610251
(1 row)

I've been using Bacula for almost three years so that's 3 years worth of
fileids there.

--
James Cort

IT Manager