Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Ran out of fileid's in postgres-backed database

2008-11-07 04:55:17
Subject: [Bacula-users] Ran out of fileid's in postgres-backed database
From: James Cort <james.cort AT u4eatech DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 09:50:59 +0000
I appear to have run out of fileids in my bacula database.

I'm using bacula 2.2.8-8~bpo40+1  (the Debian Etch backported package)
and my backups have failed with the error:

Fatal error: Can't fill File table Query failed: INSERT INTO File
(FileIndex, JobId, PathId, FilenameId, LStat, MD5)SELECT
batch.FileIndex, batch.JobId, Path.PathId,
Filename.FilenameId,batch.LStat, batch.MD5 FROM batch JOIN Path ON
(batch.Path = Path.Path) JOIN Filename ON (batch.Name = Filename.Name):
ERR=ERROR:  integer out of range

I'm using Postgres as the backend and I note from the script which
bacula uses to setup the table "file" that fileid is of type serial.

bacula=> select max(fileid) from file;
    max
------------
 2147272756
(1 row)

2^31=2147483648

Postgresql's documentation states:

"The type names serial and serial4 are equivalent: both create integer
columns. The type names bigserial and serial8 work just the same way,
except that they create a bigint column. bigserial should be used if you
anticipate the use of more than 2^31 identifiers over the lifetime of
the table."

... but I'm not too keen on doing this unless I can be sure it won't
have a knock-on effect on Bacula.

What can I do to fix this?

James

--