Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] First use of volumes

2008-10-26 09:36:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] First use of volumes
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:34:00 +0100
Kshatriya wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
>
>> Does "llist media" help? (note the double "l", as "long list")
>>
>> There you can see when the tape was labeled, and first time written into.
>
> It would be great and it would be what I want, but unfortunatly LabelDate
> equals FirstWritten. For example a tape that is in use for a long time
> already:
>
>        FirstWritten: 2008-10-23 20:00:01
>         LastWritten: 2008-10-23 23:29:01
>           LabelDate: 2008-10-23 20:00:01
>
> So maybe this is a bug in Bacula?
>
> I'm using version 2.4.2
>
> K.

Bug : no I don't think so ...

Blanking a tape is blanking ( everything erased ) as this reset all informations
All other backup software I know work exactly the same BrightStor Acserve,
Veritas, ntbackup etc ...

I don't know if it works like you want but you can try to relabel your media

         MediaId: 163
       VolumeName: testrelabeled
             Slot: 0
           PoolId: 1
        MediaType: File_FSSQL
     FirstWritten: 0000-00-00 00:00:00
      LastWritten: 0000-00-00 00:00:00
        LabelDate: 2008-10-26 14:29:45

But as the operation is same as deleted old and create a new media I don't
really thing this would change anything.

In Arcserve if you purge / blank tape all data are also lost.
In you purge them and recycle them you can keep informations.

Perharps with codebar you can track more informations ....

--

     Bruno Friedmann