Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] First use of volumes

2008-10-24 08:40:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] First use of volumes
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:46:00 +0300
"Kshatriya" <kshatriyak AT gmail DOT com> kirjoitti
viestissä:Pine.LNX.4.64.0810241038200.15815 AT zeebhgre.cflpubolgr DOT pbz...
> Hello !
>
> Maybe I don't know where to find it in Bacula and it already exists, but a
> feature I've always 'missed' is that Bacula doesn't save the date of
> the first use of a volume (and optionally the read/write count).
>
> It would be very nice to know this, because then you know how old your
> tapes are, how many times they are written and as a result, if they need
> replacement.
>
> I always write the 'first-use' date on my tapes, but on some older tapes I
> didn't and now I noticed they started to fail because they were too old or
> used too many times.
>
> I think it would be very easy to implement such a thing in Bacula. Or does
> it already exists?

Does "llist media" help? (note the double "l", as "long list")

There you can see when the tape was labeled, and first time written into.

If you have for some reason erased the labels (with mt weof), and then
labeled the tapes again, the information above reflects only what Bacula can
know. But even in that case you may be able to get some more deep
information with some tape drive utility tools, tapes may contain some usage
history that is not destroyed after rewind-weof cycle.

Regards,
Timo