Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting from disk based pool

2008-10-13 11:26:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting from disk based pool
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Radek Hladik" <radek AT eadresa DOT cz>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:23:22 -0400
>>>       However I need sometimes to delete some older backups by hand,
>>> because
>>> of low disk space, or because we sometimes manually run the backup and
>>> it breaks the schema (the last backup is not old enough to be recycled).
>>> I would like to ask whether there is a possibility to manually recycle
>>> volume from console and/or if there is a way how to tell Bacula that
>>> I've deleted some particular volume and that it should remove it from
>>> catalog?
>>>

>> use the delete volume command in a bacula console then delete the
>> volume manually on disk.
>>
>> John
>
> Thanks for your advice. I tried this command once, it warned me with
> something like "Deleting data is genraly bad idea" and I think that there
> were some warnings in backup reports afterwards. But if this is the correct
> way how to do it, I will try it more thorough...

After rereading this I believe you do not really want to delete the
volumes just make them available for a new job before the retention
period as elapsed. For this just use the purge command from bconsole
and follow the prompts. Do not delete the catalog file from disk.
Bacula will then reuse this volume in the next backup from that pool
when it needs a new volume.

John