Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog backup retention

2008-10-13 11:21:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog backup retention
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Radek Hladik" <radek AT eadresa DOT cz>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:18:32 -0400
> I have no problem with backing up catalog on other server with less
> expensive storage space. But I do not see any use of old catalog backups at
> all. I would do "bscan into new catalog" in all cases except the one, where
> I have catalog backup newer than last data backed up and I need to recover
> it. I.e. database server crash or something like that. In all other cases I
> would not risk the possible complications...

A couple of years ago I had a database corruption issue where the
database had become corrupt and I did not notice that for over 1 week.
The catalog backup and some other backups were running fine but others
were failing. If I did not have more than 1 week of catalogs it would
have been much harder to recover being that 200 volumes or so and
manually scanning to recover the catalog would have taken months. One
other thing I recommend. Always have a bootstrap file for your
catalogs. I have mine named so that each day I get a new bootstrap
file and that file has the jobid in its name.

Job {
  Name = "BackupCatalog"
  Type = Backup
  Client = dev6-fd
  FileSet = "Catalog"
  Schedule = "WeeklyCycleAfterBackup"
  Storage = File
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = BackupCatalogs
  ClientRunBeforeJob = "/usr/libexec/bacula/make_catalog_backup bacula
hbroker hbroker"
  ClientRunAfterJob = /usr/libexec/bacula/delete_catalog_backup
  WriteBootstrap = "/mnt/vg/backups/BootStrap/%n_%i.bsr"
}

John