Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent Jobs (shouldn't be)

2008-10-06 07:20:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent Jobs (shouldn't be)
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho AT linpro DOT no>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:35:38 +0200
Jason Dixon <jdixon AT omniti DOT com> writes:
> That was just an overview.  Each Job is tied to a single client.  I
> haven't been able to get this working properly yet; the lower
> priority jobs always "multiplex" (to use a NetBackup term)
> concurrently and force the higher priority job to wait.

My patch which adds a new directive that will partly solve your
problem was added to trunk yesterday.  Here's the documentation for
it:

\item [Allow Mixed Priority = \lt{}yes|no\g{}]

   This directive is only implemented in version 2.5 and later.  When
   set to {\bf yes} (default {\bf no}), this job may run even if lower
   priority jobs are already running.  This means a high priority job
   will not have to wait for other jobs to finish before starting.
   The scheduler will only mix priorities when all running jobs have
   this set to true.

   Note that only higher priority jobs will start early.  Suppose the
   director will allow two concurrent jobs, and that two jobs with
   priority 10 are running, with two more in the queue.  If a job with
   priority 5 is added to the queue, it will be run as soon as one of
   the running jobs finishes.  However, new priority 10 jobs will not
   be run until the priority 5 job has finished.

This is a partial solution since your database job will still have to
wait for one of the Default jobs to finish, but it will no longer have
to wait for all three.

> I wonder if using Migration would be more appropriate.  I can create
> a File Storage device and have the higher priority jobs use that for
> Migration, then use tape volumes for the Next Pool.  Does this sound
> reasonable?

you can also define separate Storage devices and limit concurrency for
Default/Database on that level.

--
regards,          | Redpill  _
Kjetil T. Homme   | Linpro  (_)