Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Auto Label Volumes on Fixed Disk?

2008-10-04 16:59:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Auto Label Volumes on Fixed Disk?
From: Grant <grant-bacula AT mytoolbench DOT net>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:44:00 -0500

John Drescher wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:00 AM, Grant <grant-bacula AT mytoolbench DOT net>
> wrote:
>
>> Let me explain what I'm hoping to do.  I want to use Bacula to backup
>> multiple computers to one central server located at the same location.
>> I then want to make a second copy on another server offsite.  I would
>> make this copy through the internet.  I was hoping to force each job to
>> create a new volume and limit it to 2GB making it easier to copy these
>> files over to the second server.  Am I going about this the right way?
>>

> That should be fine. I would rsync the volume files to the remote.
> Please post your complete config files and what version of bacula you
> are using.
>
> Here is what I have for the pool a similar config  except I do not
> limit jobs and I have 45 day retention on bacula 2.4.2
>
> Pool {
>   Name = Default
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
> Volumes
>   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
>   Volume Retention = 45 days
>   Label Format = "Volume-"
>   Maximum Volume Bytes = 2G
> }
>
> John

I ended up getting it to work.  I deleted the p01-001 file that was
being overwritten, I dropped all the tables and recreated, rebooted the
computer, and then everything worked.  For the reference of anyone else
having a similar problem, my configuration is as follows:

Pool {
  Name = p01
  PoolType = Backup
  Storage = MainArchive
  MaximumVolumeJobs = 1
  MaximumVolumeBytes = 2147483648
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 90 days
  Recycle = yes
  LabelFormat = "p01-"
}

Thanks John and Arno for your suggestion of using rsync.  That sounds
exactly like what I need for the next step in my project.

I do have one other question maybe you two or someone else on the list
could answer.  I do have a few systems backing up over the public
internet.  I couldn't seem to get TLS to work but do have data
encryption enabled.  Is just data encryption alone pretty safe?