Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Auto Label Volumes on Fixed Disk?

2008-10-01 02:57:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Auto Label Volumes on Fixed Disk?
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:53:42 +0200
Hi,

01.10.2008 07:00, Grant wrote:
> Let me explain what I'm hoping to do.  I want to use Bacula to backup
> multiple computers to one central server located at the same location.
> I then want to make a second copy on another server offsite.  I would
> make this copy through the internet.  I was hoping to force each job to
> create a new volume and limit it to 2GB making it easier to copy these
> files over to the second server.  Am I going about this the right way?

I would use rsync to do the offsite transfer. rsync will determine
which files or which parts of files to syncronize, so you wouldn't
have to worry about file size and which jobs the volumes contain. If
you trigger the rsync after all the jobs have run (admin job or run
after job command for the catalog backup, for example), and the rsync
is done by the time the next jobs start, you'd always have a
consistent and exact copy of all your local volumes offsite.

Also, rsync can use ssh to transfer data, so you wouldn't expose any
information. And it only transfers what really has changed, so you
would save time and traffic, too.

All in all, I'd say rsync is a great tool for this sort of tasks.

Arno

> Grant wrote:
>> No, I didn't change anything after p01-0001 was created.
>>
>> John Drescher wrote:

>>> Did you change the volume retention on the pool after p01-0001 was labeled?
>>>
>>> John

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
Sandstr. 6, 49080 Osnabrück