Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] spooling + tape + concurrent backups

2008-09-17 09:37:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] spooling + tape + concurrent backups
From: James Cort <james.cort AT u4eatech DOT com>
To: Andrea Conti <ac AT alyf DOT net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:37:06 +0100
Andrea Conti wrote:
> 2) I am not sure about what happens if the maximum spool size is reached
> in this case. With no concurrency, the running job is paused while
> spooled data is flushed and then spooling resumes; with concurrency, I
> do not know whether this pause-flush-restart cycle is done for a single
> job (thus preserving the sequential writing) or for all spooled jobs
> (reverting to the "interleaved" behavior). Maybe someone can shed some
> light on this point?

I'm pretty sure you get the interleaved behaviour, because I used to do
exactly this.

The problem I did find is that if you're interleaving two backups on
tape without spooling, eg:

Server A: Slow disk, 50GB
Server B: Fast disk, 200GB

... you wind up slowing down the backup for server B quite dramatically
because it spends a lot of time waiting for the rather slow backup of
server A.  You may actually see a shorter backup window by selectively
disabling concurrency on the jobs.

--
James Cort

IT Manager