Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] spooling + tape + concurrent backups

2008-09-17 04:38:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] spooling + tape + concurrent backups
From: James Cort <james.cort AT u4eatech DOT com>
To: Adrian Moisey <adrian AT careerjunction.co DOT za>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:37:32 +0100
Adrian Moisey wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm busy setting up my bacula to write to tape.  The problem I've come
> across now is that it seems to take forever to do so and it takes more
> then 1 tape.
>
> What happens is I've got spooling enabled.  When the backup runs it
> spools machine A, writes machine A to tape, spools machine B, writes
> machine B to tape.  I understand that you can't write concurrent backups
> to tape.  How can I get my bacula to spool *everything* before it writes
> to tape?

I don't think there's a simple directive to say "Spool every outstanding
job before you put anything to tape", or for that matter a directive to
say "While you're putting job A to tape, you might as well start
spooling job B" but you could always set up a separate disk pool, backup
your servers to the disk pool and then run a migration job to get the
data to tape.

Bacula will write concurrent backups to tape quite happily, but it's not
recommended as you'll wind up with very fragmented backups which will
require a lot of seeking which is even less efficient with tapes than it
is with disks.

--
James Cort

IT Manager