Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] mtx on Solaris

2008-09-05 17:03:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] mtx on Solaris
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Jason Dixon" <jdixon AT omniti DOT com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 17:02:40 -0400
> Found the cause of the previous errors.  The kernel had the Veritas sg
> driver loaded.  Removed that, setup the sgen driver and we're able to
> get status and load.  I'm having a problem with the unload though.  Here
> is the output from a status, my unload and eject attempts, and then a
> "label barcodes" in bconsole.
>
> -bash-3.00$ sudo /opt/csw/sbin/mtx -f /dev/scsi/changer/c1t0d0 status
>  Storage Changer /dev/scsi/changer/c1t0d0:1 Drives, 14 Slots ( 1
> Import/Export )
> Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 2 Loaded):VolumeTag =
> 000058
>      Storage Element 1:Empty
>      Storage Element 2:Empty
>      Storage Element 3:Empty
>      Storage Element 4:Empty
>      Storage Element 5:Empty
>      Storage Element 6:Empty
>      Storage Element 7:Empty
>      Storage Element 8:Full :VolumeTag=000070
>      Storage Element 9:Full :VolumeTag=000071
>      Storage Element 10:Empty
>      Storage Element 11:Full :VolumeTag=000065
>      Storage Element 12:Empty
>      Storage Element 13:Empty
>      Storage Element 14 IMPORT/EXPORT:Empty
>
> -bash-3.00$ sudo /opt/csw/sbin/mtx -f /dev/scsi/changer/c1t0d0 unload
> Unloading Data Transfer Element into Storage Element 2...mtx: Request
> Sense: Long Report=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
> mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
> mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
> mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
> mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 3B
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 90
> mtx: Request Sense: Field in Error = 00
> mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Field Pointer = 00 04
> MOVE MEDIUM from Element Address 63000 to 1 Failed
>
> -bash-3.00$ sudo /opt/csw/sbin/mtx -f /dev/scsi/sequential/c1t1d0 eject
> mtx:eject failed

I see errors like this when bacula has the drive open or locked and
after you get an error like this sometimes stopping bacula-sd is not
enough. I either need to reboot or restart the st driver.

I believe you should make sure mtx works reliably first before trying
to get this working with bacula.

After your are able to load and unload tapes with mtx make sure you
can do the same with the mtx-changer script.

If you get failures running the mtx-changer script you will have to
modify the script to work with your system. In most cases this amounts
to setting a longer delay or correcting the ready variable so it
matches what your system returns to indicate that a tape is ready.

Then run the btape tests. And then finally if this all works start using bacula.

John