Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Odd storage status

2008-09-04 06:46:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Odd storage status
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 12:45:39 +0200
Hi,

04.09.2008 00:27, Jesse Peterson wrote:
> What would cause this?
>
> *status storage
> [..snip..]
>
> Device status:
> Device "DRIVE1" (/dev/nrst0) is not open.
>      Device is BLOCKED waiting for mount of volume "MYPOOL2-0035",
>         Pool:        MYPOOL2-pool
>         Media type:  LTO-2
> Device "DRIVE2" (/dev/nrst1) is mounted with:
>      Volume:      MYPOOL2-0035
>      Pool:        *unknown*
>      Media type:  LTO-2
>      Total Bytes Read=129,024 Blocks Read=2 Bytes/block=64,512
>      Positioned at File=0 Block=0
> ====
>
> In Use Volume status:
> MYPOOL2-0035 on device "DRIVE1" (/dev/nrst0)
>      Reader=0 writers=0 reserved=1
>

> So DRIVE2 has the volume mounted, but bacula doesn't know which pool
> it belongs to (*unknown* even though it's a part of MYPOOL2-pool).

That's normal as long as the SD didn't communicate with the DIR about
this volume.

> Then it also believes that it's in use on DRIVE1 and is waiting,
> blocked, for it. Why doesn't it just use the volume from DRIVE2? This
> is a 2.2.7 director with two separate (non-autochanger) drives.

That's the point - The SD selected a certain drive to use when it
started the job. It can't switch drives while a job is running.

Also, the data for each device is kept separate in the SD, so the
storage device DRIVE2 hasn't learnt which pool the tape belongs to.

With a more recent version - which should be, of course, the lastest
relesed one :-) - the SD might choose better. Some issues with device
reservation et al were fixed.

Arno

> Thanks,
> - Jesse
>

> P.S. Please reply-all as I subscribe to the digest and may not
> immediately see replies. Thank you.

Done.

--
Arno Lehmann