Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Odd storage status

2008-09-04 17:53:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Odd storage status
From: Jesse Peterson <jesse.peterson AT exbiblio DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 14:53:01 -0700
On Sep 4, 2008, at 10:47 AM, John Drescher wrote:

>>> That's the point - The SD selected a certain drive to use when it
>>> started the job. It can't switch drives while a job is running.
>>
>> Sure - but why didn't it pick the drive with the correct volume
>> already mounted to begin with? Perhaps the question is - what is the
>> logic the SD used to pick the device?
>>

> Bacula does not do this. Whatever drive you tell it to use for a job
> will be the device bacula will use for the entire job even if it knows
> that the requested tape is in a different drive.

So then it is not possible to specify (conceptually) for bacula to use
any drive of the same Media Type for a job? It will always try to use
the very device that one specifies?

My end-all goal here is this:

A.   Label a new volume and place in pool on first device/drive
B.   Label a second volume and place in same pool but on second device/
drive
C.   Have bacula run jobs and fill the first volume, then start using
the second volume (because it's labeled and ready and is in the
'Append' state and is of the same pool and Media Type, etc.) without
any intervention and without separate jobs/pools configured
differently for devices.
D.   If a new job starts use any "appropriate" device that the
director knows about (e.g. Media Type, has a labeled volume in correct
pool, etc.)

I guess I don't want to backup to "devices." I want to backup to a
plurality of devices of the same Media Type. Bacula, I would think,
should just choose the most appropriate device.

What is the appropriate way to submit a feature request/project?

Thanks,
- Jesse