Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Odd storage status

2008-09-04 13:39:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Odd storage status
From: Jesse Peterson <jesse.peterson AT exbiblio DOT com>
To: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:38:48 -0700
On Sep 4, 2008, at 3:45 AM, Arno Lehmann wrote:

>> So DRIVE2 has the volume mounted, but bacula doesn't know which
>> pool  it belongs to (*unknown* even though it's a part of MYPOOL2-
>> pool).
>
> That's normal as long as the SD didn't communicate with the DIR
> about this volume.

Ahh yes - looking around I think I've seen this come up a few times.

>> Then it also believes that it's in use on DRIVE1 and is waiting,
>> blocked, for it. Why doesn't it just use the volume from DRIVE2?
>> This  is a 2.2.7 director with two separate (non-autochanger) drives.
>
> That's the point - The SD selected a certain drive to use when it
> started the job. It can't switch drives while a job is running.

Sure - but why didn't it pick the drive with the correct volume
already mounted to begin with? Perhaps the question is - what is the
logic the SD used to pick the device?

> Also, the data for each device is kept separate in the SD, so the
> storage device DRIVE2 hasn't learnt which pool the tape belongs to.

Yet it assumed it was in DRIVE1? Does the SD always just pick the
"first" configured device? I would think it would want to pick the
"best" device - ie the one with volume the director is looking for
that the SD already has mounted.

> With a more recent version - which should be, of course, the lastest
> relesed one :-) - the SD might choose better. Some issues with
> device reservation et al were fixed.

Is that to say that a bug in bacula is causing it to pick the wrong
the device when a job starts? Might you have reference to this bug if
it exists?

Thanks for your time!
- Jesse

P.S. Please reply-all as I subscribe to the digest and may not
immediately see replies. Thank you.