Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] trouble getting HP autochanger to work

2008-08-28 01:32:47
Subject: [Bacula-users] trouble getting HP autochanger to work
From: jpg1792 <jpg1792 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:32:16 -0700
Hi All,

I've been tasked with getting a HP DLT SureStore Autochanger working
with Bacula on a Gentoo Linux server.  I know nothing about tape
drives and I've been following what I can find online, but now I'm
stuck.

Here is the setup:

# tapeinfo -f /dev/sg0
Product Type: Tape Drive
Vendor ID: 'QUANTUM '
Product ID: 'DLT8000         '
Revision: '023B'
Attached Changer: No
SerialNumber: 'CXA31P0013'
MinBlock:2
MaxBlock:16777214
SCSI ID: 0
SCSI LUN: 0
Ready: no

# tapeinfo -f /dev/sg1
Product Type: Medium Changer
Vendor ID: 'HP      '
Product ID: 'C6280-8000      '
Revision: '2.12'
Attached Changer: No
SerialNumber: 'HP      '
TapeAlert[25]:Undefined.
SCSI ID: 1
SCSI LUN: 0
Ready: no

using the mtx command I get:

# mtx -f /dev/sg0 inquiry
Product Type: Tape Drive
Vendor ID: 'QUANTUM '
Product ID: 'DLT8000         '
Revision: '023B'
Attached Changer: No

# mtx -f /dev/sg1 inquiry
Product Type: Medium Changer
Vendor ID: 'HP      '
Product ID: 'C6280-8000      '
Revision: '2.12'
Attached Changer: No

So it looks like everything is found correctly, but then I try:

# mtx -f /dev/sg1 status
mtx: Request Sense: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 46 00 00 00 00 40 80 00 00 00 00 00 00
READ ELEMENT STATUS Command Failed

I tried searching google for this error, but I can't find it anywhere.

These are the relevant scsi messages from dmesg:

scsi0 : Adaptec AIC79XX PCI-X SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 3.0
scsi 0:0:0:0: Sequential-Access QUANTUM  DLT8000          023B PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
scsi 0:0:1:0: Medium Changer    HP       C6280-8000       2.12 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
st 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi tape st0
st 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 1
scsi 0:0:1:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 8
ch 0:0:1:0: Attached scsi changer ch0

I do have some other scsi devices attached, but this is the only one
on this controller and it is properly terminated.

Any help or advice on what I need to do next would be greatly appreciated.

-Ezra