Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] One Bacula server with multiple tape libraries

2008-08-27 11:50:34
Subject: [Bacula-users] One Bacula server with multiple tape libraries
From: Alex La Greca <alexl AT softpi DOT it>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:50:10 +0200
Hello,
we are evaluating the opportunity to use Bacula for doing backups of
some servers into one company' s network: a very common scenario;
but, for many reasons, we would like to consider if is possible to
archive data into
more than one autochanger (medium size libraries) instead of one single
large library.

To be more clear I would try to make an example:
- we would like to use 4 libraries Spectra T50 with 50 slots and 2 LTO-4
drivers each,
- instead of one single Spectra T200 with 200 slots and 8 LTO-4 drivers
in one box.

If I well understood in last Bacula release should be possible to define
more than one
multi-drive autochanger into the configuration file, and I hope that I
could execute more
than one backup job at the same time.

My doubts are a little deeper:
1) if I execute a backup job on a tape that stays into slot 5 of library
2, when I start a
    restore command of some data from that tape, is it Bacula able to
find the right media
    in the right slot of the right library and put it into one drive of
that same library? Or does
    it start always from the first drive of the whole list like some
commercial tools ?

2) is it possible, in general, to execute a multistream backup (I mean a
backup that is
    split on many drive in parallel as You can do with Oracle R-man
allocating multiple sbt
    channels at the same time as we tested in past with 16 drivers in
parallel) ??

2a) and if Yes, could we split this job on multiple drivers that are
installed on different libraries ??

Thanks in advance for the answer
Best regards

Alex La Greca

--
------------------------------------
Alessandro La Greca

Software Products Italia srl
Via Volturno 12
50019 Sesto Fiorentino (FI)
Tel. +39-055-33651
Fax. +39-055-340558
Filiali Milano - Roma

www.softpi.it
------------------------------------

This message was entirely written using recycled electrons.

Le informazioni trasmesse sono da intendere solo per la persona e/o società a
cui sono indirizzate,
possono contenere documenti confidenziali e/o materiale riservato. Qualsiasi
modifica, inoltro,
diffusione o altro utilizzo, relativo alle informazioni trasmesse, da parte di
persone e/o società,
diversi dai destinatari indicati, è proibito ai sensi della legge 196/2003. Se
Lei ha ricevuto questa
mail per errore, per favore contatti il mittente e cancelli queste informazioni
da ogni computer.
--
Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If you
are not the addressee