Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula purging wrong volume

2008-08-25 09:34:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula purging wrong volume
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Tilman Schmidt" <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:34:02 -0400
> In which sense is that behaviour correct? Is it specified anywhere
> that Bacula should always purge the oldest volume whose retention
> period has expired?
Sorry, I see there is an option for that
PurgeOldestVolume=yes
RecycleOldestVolume=yes

> I never found anything on the topic in the
> documentation, but from several discussions here on the list I
> gathered the impression that it should prefer purging volumes
> which are actually available in a drive. Specifically, when I
> discussed my own tape schedule here under the subject "Bacula and
> off-site storage of tapes", one reply stated on 30.01.2008 22:08:
>
>> The nice thing is that, even if Bacula requests a particular tape, it
>> accepts any useable tape,

Normally this only works for appendable tapes but setting  Recycle
Current Volume = yes allows that to work tapes that can be recycled.

>i.e. any tape that's aout of its retention time
>> would be accepted.

Looking at the docs I see the information:
http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html#SECTION002530000000000000000

For this to work you must have Recycle Current Volume = yes

All of these are defined in the Pool resource:
http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION0014150000000000000000

I assume you have Recycle Current Volume = yes

John