Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula purging wrong volume

2008-08-25 05:16:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula purging wrong volume
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:15:50 +0200
John Drescher schrieb:
From all the information you posted it looks to me like bacula purged
the correct volume. I mean Freitag-05 was the oldest volume that could
be purged and its retention period had expired.

In which sense is that behaviour correct? Is it specified anywhere
that Bacula should always purge the oldest volume whose retention
period has expired? I never found anything on the topic in the
documentation, but from several discussions here on the list I
gathered the impression that it should prefer purging volumes
which are actually available in a drive. Specifically, when I
discussed my own tape schedule here under the subject "Bacula and
off-site storage of tapes", one reply stated on 30.01.2008 22:08:

The nice thing is that, even if Bacula requests a particular tape, it accepts any useable tape, i.e. any tape that's aout of its retention time would be accepted.

And so far it seemed to do that - until last Friday, that is.

Thanks,
Tilman

--
Tilman Schmidt