Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] volume retention question

2008-08-25 09:31:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] volume retention question
From: Ronald Buder <rbuder AT proficom-ag DOT de>
To: Mikel Jimenez <mikel AT irontec DOT com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:31:11 +0200 (CEST)
>Mikel Jimenez wrote:
>>Ronald Buder wrote:
>>
>>>Hi

>>>As with every other backup system, Bacula should eventually notice
>>>the
>>>gap in the incrementals and perform a full backup at the 23rd. I
>>>havn't
>>>testet that scenario and would not dare do so in a production
>>>environment. I would, depending on the activity of the client, also
>>>recommend differential backups, say once a week. Incrementals always
>>>refer to the last incremental, differentials refer to the last full
>>>or
>>>differential backup. Give it a differential job, say on the 14th
>>>(halb a
>>>month) and you're good to go.

>>>You're welcome.
>>>
>>>Regards, Ronald
>>>

>>what you recommend me?
>>I want to have the capacity to watch a system state for 21 days and no
>>more, I want to volumes go recycling, and no have memory of that
>>system
>>more than 21 days

I'm having a hard time to understand, what you want. If you run a full
backup every 1st of the month and keep running incremental backups you
will run into trouble after the 21st day of incremental backups. Bacula
will notice the gap and run a new full backup. Like I said, I'd resort
to differential jobs...

>Some help please

I'm trying, I'm trying...