Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup performance

2008-08-22 11:23:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup performance
From: "Lukasz Szybalski" <szybalski AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:23:24 -0500
On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Technik <technik AT zli DOT ch> wrote:
>>But On Full backup:
>>FD Bytes Written: 63,668,167,347 (63.66 GB)
>>SD Bytes Written: 63,983,912,475 (63.98 GB)
>>Rate: 771.2 KB/s
>>Software Compression: 82.3 %
>>
>>This saves me 11GB? So How fast will my backup rate be? Currently it
>>is at 771kb seems low for what people mentioned on this list.
>
> I know three settings that can have an impact on performance: VSS,
> compression and Maximum Network Buffer Size.
>
> VSS and compression belongs to the FileSet Resource.
>
> Maximum Network Buffer Size belongs to the File Daemon and the Device
> Resource. Searching the manual (pdf) for Network Buffer Size gives you
> the right hits where you can find more detailed information.
>
> If a Windows machine is so slow as you describe I would try to set
> Maximum Network Buffer Size = 32768 in the fd-conf of this machine.
> After this you have to restart the bacula service.

Thanks,
I will research above.

Is there a list of commands I could use to determine what is being
utilized. "top" doesn't do a good job for me at this point. It shows
SD as using 0 memory  and 20% cpu but I dont' know how much disk its
using.

I would like to know memory usage, network usage, hdd write, how much
cache is used for writing, speed of writing/reading. I have some other
processes that run and when doing a restore job they almost stopped
working, so I either need to increase the memory or speed up
read/write but I don't have enough information to get any statistics I
could use. Commands would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lucas

--
OpenOffice and Python