Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup performance

2008-08-22 10:43:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup performance
From: Technik <technik AT zli DOT ch>
To: Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:42:54 +0200 (CEST)
>But On Full backup:
>FD Bytes Written: 63,668,167,347 (63.66 GB)
>SD Bytes Written: 63,983,912,475 (63.98 GB)
>Rate: 771.2 KB/s
>Software Compression: 82.3 %
>
>This saves me 11GB? So How fast will my backup rate be? Currently it
>is at 771kb seems low for what people mentioned on this list.

I know three settings that can have an impact on performance: VSS,
compression and Maximum Network Buffer Size.

VSS and compression belongs to the FileSet Resource.

Maximum Network Buffer Size belongs to the File Daemon and the Device
Resource. Searching the manual (pdf) for Network Buffer Size gives you
the right hits where you can find more detailed information.

If a Windows machine is so slow as you describe I would try to set
Maximum Network Buffer Size = 32768 in the fd-conf of this machine.
After this you have to restart the bacula service.

Cheers, Primus.