Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup performance

2008-08-22 09:48:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup performance
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:48:05 -0400
> What kind of backup throughput are people seeing?
>
> I'm backing up Linux clients to a Linux server across a Gb network to
> local disk (hardware RAID 5) on the backup server and rarely see
> speeds above 8MB/s.  What kinds of performance tweaks are available?
> Is it all about tuning IO on the client or can Bacula be tweaked?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ben

1) Writes to a RAID-5 array slow down the more drives you have.  For
most things like use as a file share performance is still great so long
as you've got the writes cached, but for sustained writing the cache
will fill up before the writes complete and you wind up being at the
mercy of the platter speeds.  For a write to a RAID-5 set of 5 drives,
it has to do reads as well as writes on all the drives in the set.
That's why some people do RAID-1 and RAID-10 for projects like high
performance backup to disk, this but of course that's more expensive.

2) The more simultaneous backups you have going at the same time, the
slower it will be too.

Depending on your config... that might be all you could expect.
The rotational speed and interface of the drives matters as well as the
speed of the computers being backed up--desktops with a single sata
7,200 rpm sata drive won't be very quick.  That's where concurrency
helps, but as I mentioned above, if you get too many writers at the same
time you'll reduce performance of all of them.

    Bob