Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup performance

2008-08-22 09:56:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup performance
From: "Lukasz Szybalski" <szybalski AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:55:21 -0500
Hello,

Any idea how to speed up restore process?

My volume is 350gb currently.

Here is a recent restore job I did from debian linux to windows 2000:

Start time:             21-Aug-2008 19:02:52
  End time:               21-Aug-2008 20:51:58
  Files Expected:         15,045
  Files Restored:         15,047
  Bytes Restored:         1,098,233,343
  Rate:                   167.8 KB/s

This is even less then 1/10 of 80mb/s!

1. I noticed you cannot restore windows backup to a linux platform: I
get "Error: Win32 GZIP data stream not supported on this Client." How
can I fix this.

2. You mentioned I shouldn't use compression. How big will be the backup job?
Software Compression:   79.1 %  On 100mb Incremental this would be
around extra 20mb
 Software Compression:   41.1 %
 Software Compression:   82.3 %  I guess the incremental doesn't make
much difference.

But On Full backup:
 FD Bytes Written:       63,668,167,347 (63.66 GB)
  SD Bytes Written:       63,983,912,475 (63.98 GB)
  Rate:                   771.2 KB/s
  Software Compression:   82.3 %

This saves me 11GB? So How fast will my backup rate be? Currently it
is at 771kb seems low for what people mentioned on this list.

Let me know.
Lucas