Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Where are attributes spooled to?

2008-08-22 07:14:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Where are attributes spooled to?
From: "T. Horsnell" <tsh AT mrc-lmb.cam.ac DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:13:53 +0100
Dan Langille wrote:

>>> course
>>>
>>> Actually, you may be right. I ran into a situation over the weekend
>>> where something that was locking the database caused attribute spooling
>>> to hang. Anyone have a definitive answer?
>>>

>> Attributes are spooled to the database at the end of the job. If you
>> have thousands of files bacula may indicate that the job is finished
>> before this spooling is done but if you check the status of the
>> storage you will see that spooling is still happening. I am not sure
>> if you can remove media while this is happening as I have never
>> attempted that.

Can I be a bit picky here. To my mind, 'spooling' means writing to some
intermediate storage. Attributes arent *spooled* to the database (i.e.
the catalog),
they are *written* there.  If attribute spooling is turned on, the
attributes are
spooled to an intermediate file, before being finally written to the
catalog.
This process offers a possible performance enhancement.
If we refer to the final write into the catalog as 'spooling', then it
implies
that if attribute spooling is turned off, the attributes are not written
to the
catalog at all, which is not true. <End of pick.>

Cheers,
Terry