Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] tape and day consideration

2008-08-22 06:08:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] tape and day consideration
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:07:42 +0200
John Drescher schrieb:
2008/8/22 Erwann PENCREACH <erwann.pencreach AT ch-chaumont DOT fr>:

we have 7 data tape in one pool named weekly.
[...]
our goal is to use one tape each day (000011L2=monday,000012L2=tuesday....)

actually, Bacula choose is tape regardless to the one that is in the
magazine ( each day we have one in the magazine and 6 stored in a secured
chest )

How can I specify which day a tape should be used ?

Make the only tape available for writing be the tape needed. Do this
by adjusting retention times to 6 days and mark the tape used after
around 18 hours or so.

Something like:
Volume Use Duration = 18 h
Volume Retention = 6d

I would modify the pool then use the update volume command in bconsole
to mark all volumes Archive. And then for the first week every day
purge only the needed tape. After that bacula should automatically do
the correct thing.

Beware that Bacula will stop doing the correct thing whenever you
skip a tape change, eg. because of a holiday, illness, or simply
forgetting to do it. What happens is that Bacula purges the tape
it *should* use, requests it to be loaded, waits in vain until
you finally cancel the job, but by then it has already marked
that tape as "recycled" in its database. As long as that tape is
not used, Bacula will not automatically purge any other tape from
that pool, always requesting the already recycled tape instead.

You can work around that by manually pruning each tape after you
load it. Theoretically it would be sufficient to do that for one
complete cycle after a tape change has been skipped, but I found
it easier to tell my tape operators to just do it every time,
instead of teaching them to tick off the days.

HTH
T.

--
Tilman Schmidt