Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula in Ubuntu 8.04 without TLS?

2008-08-20 12:49:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula in Ubuntu 8.04 without TLS?
From: Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:44:02 -0400

Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT
> edu> wrote:
>>
>> Lukasz Szybalski wrote:

>>> Well, the commands I sent earlier get the source code of the version
>>> you have installed currently.
>>>
>>> So if ubuntu has 2.2.0 the source code for that deb file will be
>>> downloaded. The goal of this is to just recreate the bacula.deb
>>> package with tls support. Not newer code will be downloaded.
>> Exactly, but apparently software that exists in a Debian repository
>> receives a higher priority than locally installed updates for whatever
>> reason, meaning if there are two equal installs of say 2.2.0,
>> Ubuntu/Debian will prefer to go out and install the version from the
>> repository and will try to "upgrade" you to it constantly. Someone is
>> free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I remember it working.
>
> I think you are correct.
> If you don't want to upgrade run:
> aptitude hold bacula
>
> "Fix a package at its current version and don't upgrade it automatically"

And yet another gotcha: adept_updater on KDE (not sure how the GNOME
equivalent behaves) will tell you about the newer package, even though
the eventual package action will be to hold at the current release. This
may or may not be considered a bug, IMHO.

Really the only proper way to do this is edit the Debian Changelog in
the prescribed way (which is pretty easy to do i one just hunts around
for a tutorial... one or two commands). Then the package will be handled
the way it ought to be handled.

- --