Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula in Ubuntu 8.04 without TLS?

2008-08-20 09:31:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula in Ubuntu 8.04 without TLS?
From: "Lukasz Szybalski" <szybalski AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Dan Langille" <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:30:57 -0500
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org> wrote:
> Landon Fuller wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 18, 2008, at 9:32 AM, Philipp Geschke wrote:
>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> Can somebody confirm that Ubuntu seriously compiled Bacula in 8.04
>>> without TLS after having it enabled in 7.10?
>>>
>>> Or am I just being dumb?
>>
>> Debian upstream disabled it:
>>
>> README.Debian:
>>     bacula (2.2.0-1) unstable; urgency=low
>>
>>     * SSL/TLS has been disabled in this version of Bacula due to licensing
>>      concerns.  See README.Debian and the thread at
>>      http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/07/msg00144.html for more
>>      details.
>>
>> NEWS.Debian
>>     Due to licensing concerns (see NEWS.Debian), SSL/TLS is disabled in
>> current
>>     Debian builds.  This disables both encryption for the on-the-wire
>>     protocol as well as encryption of the backed-up data.
>>
>> Kern specifically allows linking against OpenSSL in the Bacula, and has
>> removed any GPL code that can not contain this exception:
>>     As a special exception to the GPLv2, the Bacula Project gives
>>     permission to link the code of its release of Bacula with the OpenSSL
>>     project's "OpenSSL" library (or with modified versions of it that use
>>     the same license as the "OpenSSL" library), and distribute the linked
>>     executables.  You must obey the GNU General Public License in all
>>     respects for all of the code used other than "OpenSSL".
>>
>> I guess Debian considers the OpenSSL license and the GPL license
>> incompatible, and removed support prior to Kern's changes.
>> The whole issue is a bit droll.
>
> This is why I like packaging systems which allow you to compile from source.

Why don't you recompile it from source then.

apt-get build-dep bacula
aptitude install libssl-dev openssl
aptitude source bacula
cd bacula-2....
vim debian/rules
    # (change the options to enable ssl tls)
debian/rules binary
   #it should now compile and pack all bacula packages
cd ..
dpkg -i bacula*.deb

Done.

Lucas