Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Need help with blocking factor and speeds

2008-08-15 06:02:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Need help with blocking factor and speeds
From: "T. Horsnell" <tsh AT mrc-lmb.cam.ac DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:15:47 +0100
James Cort wrote:
> Ralf Gross wrote:
>
>>Does anyone get more than 80 MB/s with bacula and LTO-4 drives? That's
>>the same limit I'm hitting all the time. It doesn't make any
>>difference if I use spooling or get the data direct over the network.
>>The limit is always around 80 MB/s.
>

> Funny you should say that, I have an LTO-3 drive and I can't get much
> above 60MB/s with bacula 2.2.8 (debian-backports package), regardless of
> where the data is coming from or if it's large or small files.  On paper
> at least I should be able to beat that.  I'd assumed it was a limitation
> imposed by seek time and database overhead.
>
> Perhaps I should test with a few large files and tar...
>

> James.

I'm in a similar boat. I did tests with tar and dd, using a single large
(100GB) file full of random data to prevent compression (how do you
control compression on Linux /dev/stN drives...) and got max
110MBytes/sec on my LTO4 drives (the LTO4 spec says 120MBytes/sec max).
   I never managed better than 70MBytes/sec backing up that same single
file with Bacula. This file lives on a raid6 system and it dd'd to
/dev/null at 450Mbytes/sec, so the disk wasnt the cause of delays.

One day I'll try using /dev/null as the backup device to try and isolate
other reasons for the delays.

Cheers,
Terry