Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Read tape written by other backup-software

2008-08-15 03:58:37
Subject: [Bacula-users] Read tape written by other backup-software
From: Nils Blanck-Wehde <nils.blanck-wehde AT backofficeservice DOT biz>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:58:20 +0200
Hello list,

I just found some very old LTO1-tapes that were written years ago with
CA's ARCserve.
I have a compatible streamer somewhere that I could connect to a linux-box.
I was wondering, which information about those tapes I can retrieve with
btape (or other linux tools). It would be especially interesting to see
when the tapes were written and how much data is on the tape. I do not
need to actually restore any data, I was just curious what's on those tapes.
Is something like this even possible? I don't know whether there is a
standard for labels on tapes or if tapes contain something like a TOC
that can be read by any application.

Best regards, Nils