Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Can bacula change the ctime on files during a backup?

2008-08-07 05:26:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Can bacula change the ctime on files during a backup?
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho AT linpro DOT no>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 11:26:34 +0200
(269 + 58 lines of quotes trimmed -- hint hint :-)

Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com> writes:
> --- On Wed, 8/6/08, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com> wrote:
>> I would recommend that you talk to Veritas about the problem
>> without mentioning Bacula.  Unless you configure Bacula
>> differently, it checks both mtime and ctime, so if netbackup
>> modified either one of them, Bacula would treat the file as having
>> changed.  If you configure Bacula differently, you can make it
>> ignore ctime changes.
>
>   I did more research and found that Netbackup has
>   DO_NOT_RESET_FILE_ACCESS_TIME option which is not enabled on any
>   of the systems, so it is likely that netbackup is changing ctime
>   but does not do it consistently.
>
>   How do I configure bacula to only use mtime for incremental
>   backup?

mtimeonly = yes in your fileset.

http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html#6556

>   What are the side effects of looking only at mtime?

changes to permissions and ownership will not be picked up.  files
created with mtime in the past (e.g., tar may do this when
extracting) will not be included in the backup.

--
best regards,
Kjetil T.